NULM means National Urban Livelihoods Mission. To reduce poverty and vulnerability of
the urban poor households by enabling them to access gainful self-employment and skilled
wage employment opportunities, resulting in an appreciable improvement in their
livelihoods on a sustainable basis, through building strong grassroots level institutions of the
poor and ultimately linking them to the entrepreneurial and the startup revolution of India.
The mission would aim at providing shelter equipped with essential services to the urban
homeless in a phased manner.
In addition, the Mission would also address livelihood concerns of the urban street vendors
by facilitating access to suitable spaces, institutional credit, social security and skills to the
urban street vendors for accessing emerging market opportunities.
The scheme encourages urban poor to start up manufacturing and servicing small
enterprises, and petty businesses, based on local skills, crafts, and demand. The following
are the 7 components of NULM:
1) Social Mobilization and Institution Development (SM&ID)
2) Employment through Skills Training and Placement(EST&P)
3) Capacity Building and Training (CBT)
4) Self-Employment Programme (SEP)
5) Scheme of Shelter for Urban Homeless (SUH)
6) Support to Urban Street Vendors (SUSV)
7) Innovative and Special project(ISP)
Plot No. 334,Visalakshinagar, Visakhapatnam - 530043. Andhra Pradesh, India.